Monday, January 12, 2009

Ooh la la

Today is sunday, and we were on a mission. Oh yes... today, we are tourists. Although I should mention that the "day" started when we woke up at three. So unlike me, Paris is dangerous. Our first destination, the Eiffel Tower. We arrived just as the sun was setting, and managed to take more pictures in 10 minutes than I have ever taken in my life. And of course, we had to take them from a mile away, a half mile, 5/11th of a mile, 4/9th of a mile, 3/7th of a mile, and 10 other stops along the way. I must say, we had perfect timing. As we walked under the Tour Eiffel, it began to spasm and orgasm with a display of lights both beautiful and dizzying. More pictured ensued of course. 

We found our way to a cafe nearby and I enjoyed a delicious sandwich of ham and cheese on baguette. I'm still astounded that mayo costs .9 euro. From there we headed to the Champs-Élysées.. and holy shit. The street was beautiful in and of itself with a massive parade of trees with Christmas lights and bâtiments suited for royalty to live in, but the stores it contained were equally as amazing. We passed on our journey, 1. The headquarters of Louis Vuittain, 2. The nicest McDonald's in the world (no trashy Mickey D's for the French) and most importantly 3. all of the most beautiful people in the world.

I never knew that there was really a distinctly French facial construct until just now, and they are very, very lucky. Everyone in this fucking city is gorgeous, and they don't even have to try. They have dark hair, beautiful complexions, sharp features... and on top of it, they are all skinny. Oh and if that weren't enough, they all know how to dress. I swear that the French are born with an innate ability to dress perfectly, and the ability to do it blindly. I think that they must reach in their closets when they wake up, throw a bunch a clothes in the air, twirl around, and whatever lands on them they walk out the door with... and it works every time. Even down the scarf (which every French woman AND man knows how to wear flawlessly) looks thrown around their necks in the most careless and haphazard fashion... and I stand here and try for 5 minutes to copy it and fail every time. WTF

Apart from the Parisians themselves, every fucking building in this city is absolutely beautiful. They don't really have skyscrapers in Paris, although that may soon change (the city has many plans to modernize the skyline a bit... and of course it will in done in the most carefully aesthetic fashion). From the apartment buildings to the museums to the cafés, everything is beautiful. Well, just don't look down, the ground could use a good sweep, but I'm willing to overlook that. Everything  just... looks like its supposed to, I guess.

The next day (well today as I'm writing this) we have our orientation for the ESCP-EAP (the business school we will be attending)... like I will be wasting my time studying.. haha.

1 comment:

  1. Boo hoo Peter you have class 2 days out of 7!!!!

    ReplyDelete